Monday, March 2, 2009

The Third Agreement

Don't Make Assumptions:

We have the tendency to make assumptions about everything. The problem with making assumptions is that we believe they are truth. We could swear they are real. We make assumptions about what others are doing or thinking- we take it personally- then we blame them and react by sending emotional poison with our word. We create a lot of emotional poison just by making assumptions and taking it personally, because usually we start gossiping about our assumptions. We also make assumptions about ourselves, and this creates a lot of inner conflict. "I think I am able to do this." Then you do it and it turns out you can't do it and you get frustrated and feel defeated with yourself. When you hear something instead of going off the handle maybe you should go to the source and calmly talk about the issue. I know that I assume crap all the time. Things get said I go off the handle then I calm down. In reality what I should do it hear what is said and just roll with it. Until tomorrow when I post about the last agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment