Friday, March 13, 2009

Do Ants Sleep?

I saw a Ant yesterday and thought to myself do Ants sleep. I warned you that this would be the crazy ride of my mind. Looking it up I found a couple of different responses to this and they all basically say the same thing. This is what I found:

Q. Do Ants sleep?* A. In a word... No..... rest Yes This is is not well documentedand and i go into it further at www.goodperk.com it may vary from species to species but it is generally accepted that most ants have periods of dormancy that is akin to sleep.* An ant doesn't have eyelids for its compound eyes, but it does have periods of rest lasting several minutes, where its brain and biological functions slow down and it stops moving.* As workers have to respond to the colony needs, it could be seen as a way of preserving resources(food,etc.) each individual rests as necessary, waking as when needed by the colony. The whole colony does not go to 'sleep' at the same time.Matt Furlong

1 comment: